softshell crab exportersoft-shell crab exporterVietnamese mud crab export
Find us on Google 📌 View from the pews Start the day smarter ☀️ Get the USA TODAY app
NEWS
Mother's Day

Police: New information emerges in case of McDonald's fry tampering video

Portrait of Henry Schwan Henry Schwan
Worcester Telegram & Gazette
May 10, 2026Updated May 11, 2026, 2:18 p.m. ET

(This story has been updated with additional information. It has also been corrected to reflect that police are investigating charges of tampering with food. Due to incorrect information provided to the T&G, an earlier version of this story had incorrect charges.)

SOUTHBRIDGE – Police Chief Shane Woodson said his department has new information that could lead to charges against a McDonald's employee seen in a video putting fries in her mouth before possibly serving them to a customer.

Police have not found the person who possibly received the contaminated french fries at the McDonald's at 515 East Main St. in Southbridge. If they do, police said, those who served the fries could be charged with tampering with food.

Police have reviewed surveillance video and records of customer transactions, studied customer license plates and spoken with the restaurant's owner, but haven't been able to locate the customer who may have ordered the fries.

"We've looked, but we can't identify [a victim] now," said Woodson in an earlier interview, who added the franchise owner has been very cooperative in the investigation. "If we could find them, then there could be charges. Until someone comes forward or video evidence shows up, then that is where we're at."

In his 30 years as a police officer, Woodson has never seen a video like the one that sparked the investigation.

"This is a terrible thing," he said. "The person should not work in the industry and I hope they don't get another job in the industry."

Southbridge health officials are focused on trying to determine if the fries were served to a customer. Investigators have spoken with the employees seen in the video to determine if that happened, according to Daniel Wasiuk, the town's public health director. If they were, then there could be criminal charges tied to alleged food tampering, said Wasiuk.

It appears the video was recorded inside the McDonald's several weeks ago, and one of the employees was a manager, according to Wasiuk.

Wasiuk inspected the restaurant personally and said there were no health code violations, but going forward, the town would like to see improved staff training in safe-food handling.

“Disgusting” is the word that Cathleen Peabody used to describe the video after she had gone through the drive-thru at the Southbridge McDonald’s on Mother's Day, May 10.

“Oh no,” said Peabody after being told of the video, with a McDonald's soda and an order of fries sitting next to her in the driver's seat. “That’s disgusting. It makes me not want to eat my fries.” 

Peabody had more to say: “This should be investigated, and if necessary, that person should not be employed in food service.” 

McDonald’s at 515 East Main St., Southbridge

An investigation is underway, according to a May 10 statement from the Spadea & Balducci families that own the Southbridge McDonald's. The families comprise the Sellia Group that owns numerous McDonald's franchises in New England.

Calling the actions of the two employees in the video “unacceptable" and not a reflection of the organization’s food safety standards and values, the statement noted an internal review is happening.

A Sellia spokesperson declined to say if any employees at the Southbridge McDonald's had been suspended or fired because of the video. 

The Southbridge police and the town’s board of health are part of the investigation, the statement said, adding no public health concerns or violations have occurred.

The McDonald’s at 515 East Main St., in Southbridge.

“The wellbeing and safety of our Southbridge community remains our top priority, and we are taking swift appropriate action,” the statement reads.

Southbridge police stated in a May 8 Facebook post that it has received numerous calls, online tips and media inquiries about the video.

The 14-second video shows one employee facing the camera while putting several cooked french fries in her mouth before placing them in a serving container held by another employee who is heard saying , "dirty b****(expletive)."

The same employees repeat the sequence, smiling and laughing, with more fries going into the same container. Then the employee who put the fries in her mouth is heard saying, “You want french fries today, right?" 

Both wore headsets that are common for fast-food workers while on the job.

Mary Jane and Leon Chenier finished their drive thru order at the Southbridge McDonald's on Mother's Day. They described the video as an “isolated incident," and said it won't deter them from their daily trips to that McDonald's location for sodas.

However, Leon Chenier feels someone should face consequences for the video. “The restaurant's manager should be fired."

While loading groceries into her car at the Big Y supermarket located next to the Southbridge McDonald's, Kate Deane called the video, “very alarming. It’s gross and disappointing." She believes those seen in the recording should be fired.

Deane made it clear she’s never had a meal at the Southbridge McDonalds, noting with a laugh, “I’m a very healthy eater."

Contact Henry Schwan at [email protected]. Follow him on X: @henrytelegram

Featured Weekly Ad