WHO says Ebola in Congo, Uganda is global public health emergency
The World Health Organization has declared an Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda a "public health emergency of international concern".
The WHO said the outbreak, caused by the Bundibugyo virus, does not meet the criteria of a pandemic emergency.
The U.N. health agency said in a statement dated May 17 that 80 suspected deaths, eight laboratory-confirmed cases and 246 suspected cases had been reported as of May 16 in DRC's Ituri province across at least three health zones, including Bunia, Rwampara and Mongbwalu.
The DRC health ministry had said on May 15 that 80 people had died in the new outbreak in the eastern province.
In Uganda's capital, Kampala, two apparently unrelated laboratory-confirmed cases, including one death, were reported on May 15 and May 16, from people traveling from the DRC, the WHO said.
A laboratory-confirmed case was also reported in the DRC capital, Kinshasa, from a person returning from Ituri, the WHO said.
(Reporting by Disha Mishra in Bengaluru; Editing by William Mallard)