New York braces for first weekday commute amid rail workers strike
Thao NguyenRepresentatives from New York's Metropolitan Transportation Authority and unions for Long Island Rail Road workers were called back to the bargaining table on May 17, after thousands of workers went on strike for the first time in over three decades, officials said.
The strike by about 3,500 Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) workers has halted service on the nation’s busiest commuter rail line, impacting hundreds of thousands of riders and intensifying a standoff between labor leaders and the MTA over wages. The strike began at 12:01 a.m. local time on Saturday, May 16, after the federally mandated cooling-off period expired.
The MTA confirmed on its website that LIRR service was suspended due to the walkout. The International Brotherhood of Teamsters said in a statement that the strike was launched by five unions.
The walkout comes after "years of stalled negotiations, four years without raises for many workers, and repeated failures" by the MTA and LIRR management to reach a fair agreement, according to the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAM) Union and Transportation Communications Union.
On May 17, the second day of the strike, the National Mediation Board summoned the MTA and unions representing LIRR workers to a meeting in Manhattan to resume bargaining. Earlier, New York Gov. Kathy Hochul pleaded with LIRR unions "to bargain at the table and to get a deal done."
"We all know that the railroad is the lifeblood of Long Island. Without it, life as we know it is simply not possible," Hochul said at a news conference alongside MTA CEO Janno Lieber. "The bottom line is: No one wins in a strike. Everyone is hurt — the hundreds of thousands of people who rely on the railroad, and the thousands of unionized workers who are losing out on wages."
New York officials urge commuters to work from home amid strike
The LIRR serves about 300,000 passengers daily, and New York officials have long called the railroad the backbone of Long Island's economy and regional transportation. With services stopped, state and local officials warned that the region faces severe congestion and delays, particularly ahead of the long Memorial Day weekend.
During the May 17 news conference, Hochul urged commuters to work from home on Monday, May 18, as the strike was expected to enter its third day.
"Let's face the facts. It's impossible to fully replace LIRR service," the governor said. "So effective Monday, I'm asking that regular commuters who can work from home should. Please do so. And employers should make every accommodation necessary to allow for remote work."
The MTA previously said it would provide limited shuttle buses on weekdays for essential workers and those who cannot work from home or remotely. Hochul added that state agencies are implementing telecommuting plans for employees who normally rely on the LIRR.
Coalition of unions: Strike 'more than just a contract'
After the strike began on May 16, the coalition of unions representing LIRR workers said workers have been "seeking a contract that keeps pace with the rising cost of living on Long Island after years without raises, despite recommendations from federal panels supporting wage increases."
The coalition of unions also accused the MTA of failing to follow recommendations from two presidential emergency boards that supported higher pay. According to the coalition of unions, there was a gap of less than 1% in wage increases between the parties before talks broke down on Friday, May 15.
"But after years without raises and with the cost of living continuing to climb across Long Island and the New York City area, workers deserve a fair contract that recognizes their contributions and sacrifices," IAM Union International President Brian Bryant said in a statement. This strike was completely avoidable, and the coalition remains ready to negotiate at any time if MTA leadership is finally prepared to bargain seriously.”
In a statement on May 17, the Long Island Rail Road Bargaining Coalition said the National Mediation Board had requested a meeting with the coalition and that it will continue to provide updates on the negotiations to members.
"This dispute is about more than just a contract. It is about respect, dignity, and the future of bargaining on the Long Island Rail Road," the coalition said, praising members for the strong turnout on picket lines.
New York officials, MTA push back
In a statement on May 16, Hochul said the MTA "attempted to negotiate in good faith and put multiple fair offers on the table that included meaningful wage increases, but you cannot make a deal if one side refuses to engage in good faith."
At the May 17 news conference, Hochul warned that meeting union demands could lead to fare hikes of up to 8% or increased taxes for Long Island residents, something she said she would not allow.
"I have worked too long and hard to reduce costs for our residents, and I will not allow that to be undone," Hochul said. "As governor, my priority is to fight for affordability for all New Yorkers, and this strike puts that affordability at risk.”
The governor also pointed to federal actions, saying the strike became possible after the Trump administration in 2025 released unions from mediation.
The MTA's website said its leaders would continue to negotiate with the unions to resolve the strike. Lieber previously said the MTA could not make a deal that implodes its budget, but added that the last rejected offer gave the unions "everything they said they wanted in terms of pay."
Contributing: Reuters