Trump: Peace deal to end war with Iran 'largely negotiated': Live updates
A peace deal to end the war between the United States and Iran has been "largely negotiated," President Donald Trump announced on Truth Social on May 23.
“An Agreement has been largely negotiated, subject to finalization between the United States of America, the Islamic Republic of Iran, and the various other Countries, as listed," Trump posted. “Final aspects and details of the Deal are currently being discussed, and will be announced shortly,”
Trump wrote the Truth Social post from the Oval Office, where the president said he had been speaking with leaders from various countries in the Middle East.
“In addition to many other elements of the Agreement, the Strait of Hormuz will be opened,” Trump wrote.
Trump’s announcement comes weeks into the ceasefire agreement between the two sides. At multiple points the agreement appeared ready to fall apart. U.S. and Iranian forces launched strikes on each other. The president repeatedly claimed to be considering renewing attacks on the Islamic republic.
Trump said he held calls with several Middle Eastern and international leaders regarding “all things related to a Memorandum of Understanding pertaining to PEACE.” Trump also said he separately spoke with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and said the conversation “likewise, went very well.”
Provisions of the agreement were not immediately clear. Trump had demanded Tehran disavow efforts to obtain a nuclear weapon. Iranian leaders previously balked at Trump’s demands.
The agreement will be expected to bring an end to the war first launched by Trump and ally Israel on Feb. 28. It wasn’t immediately clear what impact the agreement will have on the Israel-Lebanon sphere of the war. Israel invaded its neighbor to the north in response to attacks from Iran’s Lebanon-based ally Hezbollah.
We'll begin our coverage soon
Thank you for joining us.