'Someone who got sick': Judge orders Lindsay Clancy's husband interview notes turned over
David R. Smith
A Plymouth County Superior Court judge granted a motion by prosecutors seeking to compel the publisher of the New Yorker and one of its writers to turn over a wide range of interview and other source materials from a story on the husband of Duxbury murder suspect Lindsay Clancy, according to court records.
Clancy is charged with three counts each of murder and strangulation in the Jan. 24, 2023 deaths of her children, Callan, 8 months, Dawson, 3, and Cora, 5, at the Summer Street home in Duxbury home she shared with her husband, Patrick, while he was out running errands at her request.
The judge's order requires New Yorker publisher Condé Nast to hand over all notes, emails, texts and voicemails in the possession of writer Eren Orbey, the author of the October 2024 interview with Patrick Clancy, according to court records.
The state's request was approved during a Feb. 7 motions hearing in Brockton Superior Court, where the case had moved early last year from Plymouth Superior Court to accommodate the judge and attorneys' schedules at the time.
Lindsay Clancy's lawyer, Kevin Reddington, filed a notice in court two months ago saying he intends to pursue an insanity defense, referred to legally as a "a defense of lack of criminal responsibility," when the trial begins in Plymouth on Jan. 5, 2026.
The judge also approved a second motion from prosecutors seeking records from the defense experts expected to testify at the trial.
Lindsay Clancy again absent from court
Lindsay Clancy attempted take her own life by either falling or jumping out of a second-floor window in the couple's bedroom the night of the murders. She remains partially paralyzed from injuries she sustained when she hit the hard winter ground below where Patrick Clancy found her when he returned home from his errands.
As a result, her court appearances have largely been waived, even by Zoom, as was the case last Friday. She was, however, present in person to plead not guilty during her April 2024 arraignment at Tewksbury Hospital, where she has been spent the majority of time since her arrest.
Patrick Clancy's speaks publicly for the first time in New Yorker interview
The New Yorker published a lengthy October 2024 interview with Patrick Clancy, who now lives in Manhattan.
In the article, he said he has spoken with his wife several times since the murder, saying he didn't marry a monster "but married someone who got sick."
He said he disagrees with her lawyer's theory that postpartum depression and an excess of prescribed antidepressants caused her to act as she is accused of doing.
Patrick Clancy told police at the time of the murders, however, that his wife, a former nurse who kept a record of her medications, "had the worst side effects possible" from the medication. He told the interviewer for the New Yorker story that he would prefer to see a plea deal reached to end the constant court dates.
DA files motion after silence from publisher Conde Nast
Prosecutors said the motion for the interview martials was necessary after not receiving any response from Conde Nast, since contacting the company two weeks ago, according to court records.
Prosecutors also seeking reports from defense experts
The prosecution's second motion discussed last Friday requesting medical reports from the defense experts Clancy's lawyer said he expects to testify at the trial was also granted by the judge, according to court records.
In his December 2024 insanity-defense filing, Reddington said the experts' testimony would be key to his defense.
"(S)tatements of the defendant as to her mental condition will be relied upon by defendant's expert witnesses," the filing says.
The next court date in the case is another motions hearing scheduled for 2 p.m. on Friday, March 21, at Brockton Superior Court.