Officials report active shooter situation at Islamic Center of San Diego
James PowelAn "active shooter situation" occurred at a San Diego Islamic center on May 18, according to city authorities.
The San Diego Police Department said in a post on X that officers responded to a call of a "reported active shooter" at the Islamic Center of San Diego.
The department said in a follow-up post that the scene is "active but contained" shortly before 4 p.m. ET. It was not immediately clear whether there were any casualties.
California Gov. Gavin Newsom said in a post on X that he had been briefed on the situation and that the Governor’s Office of Emergency Services was coordinating with local law enforcement.
San Diego Mayor Todd Gloria said on the platform that first responders were "actively working to protect the community and secure the area" shortly before 3:15 p.m. ET.
This is a developing story.