Arkansas man charged with murder wins GOP primary in sheriff's election
Michelle Del ReyA man who has been charged with second-degree murder in connection with the killing of his daughter's alleged abuser has won the Republican nomination for sheriff in Arkansas.
According to the Arkansas Secretary of State, Aaron Spencer won 53% of the vote in Lonoke, about 26 miles east of Little Rock, in the state's primary election on Tuesday, March 3.
He was running against the incumbent Sheriff John Staley and law enforcement officer David A. Bufford.
According to court documents, Spencer is charged with the murder of Michael Fosler. Here's what to know about the case.

What is Aaron Spencer accused of?
On July 8, 2024, Spencer arrived at the home of a female acquaintance of Fosler's and told the woman that Fosler had raped his minor daughter and he wanted Fosler's phone number and address. Spencer then allegedly told her not to call anyone, including the police, court records state.
She then told one of her family members what had happened. That person was a mandated reporter. Mandated reporters are required to notify law enforcement officials or social services about suspected cases of child abuse.
The family member then reported the allegations to the Lonoke County Sheriff's Office. That same day, two officers arrived at Spencer's residence to open an investigation into the rape.
The interaction was recorded on a body-worn camera. According to the documents, one of the officers told Spencer, "We still don't live in a country where you can take the law into your own hands," to which Spencer replied with an expletive.
The Wade Knox Children's Advocacy Center later interviewed the man's daughter, and authorities obtained a warrant to arrest Fosler for one count of rape and one count of internet stalking of a child – two felonies. Police arrested Fosler, and his bond was set at $50,000. He was released on July 17, 2024.
In October of that year, Heather Spencer, Aaron Spencer's wife, called 911 to report her daughter missing. She said her bed had been made to look like she was asleep in it, but her daughter was not there.
Aaron Spencer told police he later got into his car to look for Fosler. He spotted his vehicle, a white Ford truck, on the highway with his daughter in the passenger seat. The father then turned his car around and went after the vehicle. He began honking and flashing his lights to get Fosler to stop, court records state.
After following Fosler for 6 miles, Aaron Spencer hit the truck with his car, causing the truck to run into a ditch and strike a wooden entry gate post. Aaron Spencer then got out of his car and started firing a gun at Fosler. He fired 16 times, court records state, noting 15 bullets hit Fosler.
After firing the shots, Aaron Spencer pistol-whipped Fosler in the face, court records state.
The father then called 911 and said, "Michael Fosler is (expletive) dead on the side of the road for trying to kidnap my daughter. I had no choice," according to court records.
Attorneys: Aaron Spencer did what 'any father would do'
In a 2024 statement responding to the charges against him, Aaron Spencer's attorneys Erin Cassinelli and Michael Kaiser described their client as a decorated war hero who did what "any father would do."
"This predator repeatedly violated his child, and – undeterred by criminal charges and release on a low bond that pales in comparison to what was required of Aaron – kidnapped her in the dark of night to continue his assaults on her," the statement said.
In response to his election win, Cassinelli said in an emailed statement to USA TODAY: "Lonoke County residents have rallied behind Aaron − not just in his legal defense, but in his broader mission to bring accountability to a county government that has long operated without it.
"The election results have no bearing on the facts of this case, and the facts have not changed. Aaron did exactly what the law allows and exactly what any father would do: he protected his daughter and himself from harm. At some point, those responsible for this prosecution will have to reckon with that."
Aaron Spencer reminded community members of his story back when he announced his campaign in October on social media.
"I'm the father who acted to protect his daughter when the system failed," he said. "Through my own fight for justice, I've seen firsthand the failures in law enforcement and in our circuit court."
He is currently awaiting trial in the murder case.
Those who need to report child abuse can contact the Wade Knox Children's Advocacy Center at (501) 676-2552 or the Child Abuse Hotline within the Arkansas Department of Human Services at 1-800-482-5964.
Mandated reporters can also submit tips through a secure online portal at www.mandatedreporter.arkansas.gov.
Nationally, those with concerns about child abuse can all or text the Childhelp National Child Abuse Hotline at 800-422-4453.
Michelle Del Rey is a trending news reporter at USA TODAY. Reach her at [email protected]