Cruise guest dies in suspected drowning at Norwegian's private island
Nathan DillerA Norwegian Cruise Line guest died in a suspected drowning at the company's private island in the Bahamas.
The 83-year-old was pronounced dead at Great Stirrup Cay on May 3, the Royal Bahamas Police Force said in a news release. The man, whose identity was not released, was from the United States.
"Police interviewed the deceased’s son, who reported that around 2:00 p.m., he and his father had been snorkelling along the beach," authorities said. "As they were finishing, he moved ahead but soon noticed his father had stopped."

He returned to find his father unresponsive in the water without a mask, the release continued. A lifeguard and medical personnel responded to his calls for help.
Norwegian said the company was "saddened" by the passenger's death. "We extend our heartfelt condolences to the family during this difficult time," the cruise line told USA TODAY in an emailed statement.
Norwegian and authorities did not specify which ship he was sailing on. The investigation is ongoing and the exact cause of death remains unknown pending an autopsy, police said.
The incident is not the only one of its kind in recent months. Two Carnival Cruise Line guests drowned in separate incidents at its private Bahamas destination, Celebration Key, in August.
This story was updated to add new information.
Nathan Diller is a consumer travel reporter for USA TODAY based in Nashville. You can reach him at [email protected].